Monday 15 April 2013

Sunshine and a Shower of Rain

Finally after such a long period of cold weather we have some sunshine.  Its warm and it feels like spring.  With any luck things will start to happen in my little garden and wildlife will start to appear. Particularly also as we have had a couple of showers of rain.


Cornflower Seeds
Over the last week I planted some cornflower seeds.  You might remember I did this last year but shortly after shooting form the ground they disappeared.  Obviously they did attract wildlife but not in the way I had intended!  This year, I have taken precautions and erected a net over them to protect them.

Buddleia

Other things that I have done are prune the buddleia plant, that survived so successfully last year.  I was reluctant to do this when it was so cold but now it appears to be starting to grow again.

Bug Log




I have also moved the bug log, that was on the carpark last year, to this area where there are tubs and more wildlife attracting plants.  It is hanging behind a bench and so protected from the worst of the elements.  It is also above the log pile I created last autumn just by a stinging nettle.



The stinging nettle was taken from an allotment rubbish heap area and died back completely over the winter, but it is now coming back strongly.  They are obviously tough little plants as they grow wild everywhere, but they are so helpful to insect and bird life, I thought I must try to keep one.

My next intended actions are planting nasturtium seeds and finding a suitably sized composter, so more news on this coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment