Saturday 9 June 2012

Wildlife homes

Well the weather is still fighting against me and I am sure everything must be later than last year.  However, all things planted are still alive, and some are thriving.  The cornflower seeds planted at the end of May are starting to show and I am  in the process of planning a small wildflower garden area.  More on this later.

For now, I have created two trial wildlife homes as suggested in http://www.wildonwight.co.uk/doyourbit.

The first is about 20 pieces of bamboo cane cut to roughly 15cm long and tied together with string.  I can't quite decide where to site it yet, so no picture in situ, but it will hopefully attract the attention of some insects when put in a permanent home.  This will most likely be from the railings of our car park near some of the plants that should attract the insects in the first place.


The second one, which has proved rather difficult to photograph is an upturned drinks bottle, with rolled up corrugated cardboard inside.  I have put it behind a bench to protect it from the worst of the weather.  Despite some heavy showers and thunder storms the cardboard inside is still dry.  This is placed near my buddleia, herbs, cornflower and lavender.  So again these plants will attract the insects that will hopefully wish to explore this home.

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment