Wednesday 25 July 2012

Garden Bioblitz 2012

Last weekend I took part in the 2012 Garden Bioblitz, which involves finding as many wild flowers (those in your garden that were not deliberately planted) and all wildlife that is in your garden or flying over your garden for a 24 hour period.  This involves taking pictures, identifying the items/creatures and recording the pictures on iSpot and details on iRecord.  I have a very difficult growing space, as I have mentioned before, but I thought I would give the Bioblitz a go as a way of finding out how, if at all, I have managed to attract wildlife and wild flowers.  It was a lovely sunny, warm day so there was no hardship being out and about taking photos.


Here are some pictures of what I did manage to find.  

Ribwort Plantain
Some identification of plants was given by most helpful twitterers who were also doing their Bioblitz at the same time.  Examples of this are:-  Ribwort Plantain, a weed, which grows very successfully on our lawn.  Obivously not a rare component of grass land, but it's there and now I know what it is.  It does seem to be like be insects.  

White stonecrop
Also identified by a twitterer was White Stonecrop.  This nestles on a part of a wall where some of the brick work has come away and again seems very popular with insects.  As a type of Sedum, I guest that's why it's quite hardy and also popular to wildlife.  Anyway, now I know what it is it can stay!

Almeria with a bee
Then I suppose there were the usual things.   You might just about be able to see this bee on one of my almeria plants.  I noticed it first of all on the White Stonecrop, but it moved around and I managed to get a picture here.

Then I noticed this spider, which looks suspended in mid air, but was actually building a web between to the railings around our carpark.

Spider building a web



We always have clover growing on our lawn and I have tried to move some to my wild flower area, but this is an example of the genuinely wild growing clover.
Red clover
As I moved tubs and rocks around I realised we have a whole population of wood lice.  These were very difficult to photograph as the moment they were exposed to the sunlight they scurried away down cracks or into the earth.
centipede
But possibly my most exciting find (although not remarkably rare) was this centipede. Also hidden underneath a tub but in one of the wells at the front of Phoenix Court.  These areas get very little light and so it's difficult to grow anything, but they do seem to be popular areas for insects and bugs.

Obviously I also had to note the ever-present seagulls but didn't get a picture of any of them flying overhead or nesting on the roof.  Other sightings were a ladybird, an unidentified and difficult to photograph bug on a car tyre parked on our car park and a type of daisy that I am still trying to identify.  

Still though no sign of any butterflies on the buddleia, which is flowering away.  Maybe this will happen later in the year.

Not mega results and I do hope that by Garden Bioblitz 2013 I have more to find but it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment